Thursday, February 27, 2014

Ella Update.

I repeat.  ELLA UPDATE!

So yesterday I got an email around lunchtime from my agency.  They had received a translation about Ella and wanted to pass it along.  It was a discharge summary from the hospital where she receives medical care.  Long story short, she had to have her shunt replaced.  It isn't a surprise - 50% of shunts fail within the first year.  I was hoping she would make it here before her shunt had to be replaced, but ultimately she is in excellent care and received exactly what she needed.  I'm so thankful.  That being said, if you remember her hair from the clapping video, it's gone. (No biggie.)  

But here is Ella - 14 months old!


I also got quite a bit of information about her!  Some of it I doubt is super accurate, but you know.  It's hard to tell.  When she was hospitalized for surgery she weighed 23 lbs.  That was a month ago.  The update now says she weighs 29 lbs.  While the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, I am guessing she didn't gain 7lbs in three weeks (she was hospitalized for a week).  It says she is trying to crawl, which is good news!  She is also standing supported for a minute or two at a time, according to the update.  I definitely hope all of this is accurate!  This would be wonderful news for her physical development.

According to the update, she says a few words and understands a lot.  When you say "touchdown," she will put her hands up in the air.  HOW CUTE?!  A little Cards fan in the making, huh?  

The update confirmed what I had assumed, which is that she is living with a foster family.  I am so grateful for this family and their loving care of Ella for the past year.  They have taken such good care of her and by the looks of things, she's gotten plenty of love and spoiling.  :)  This placement is likely due to her medical needs, as she requires monitoring by doctors at a particular medical center.  I don't know this for a fact, but I do know that she has received care in one part of China but is from another part.  Either way.  I am incredibly grateful for this family!

There were a couple funny facts in the update too.  First of all - just FYI - she still uses the diaper.  (I'm good with that.)  Also, she likes apple juice; she does not like boiled water.  :)  I am sure there is significance there, I just liked that detail!

Oh, but wait.  You don't care about that, right?  You care about this:



You're welcome. :)

 (I don't know when or if I will get another update, so enjoy this one as often as needed!)

1 comment:

  1. She is SO darling! I'm so thankful she's in a good home and getting great medical care! You'll have her home before you know it!

    ReplyDelete