Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Real live progress!

Today I found out what it actually means to get documents certified at the state and county level. (Civics lesson!)

So when you are adopting (and I guess for various other reasons), you have to get every single document notarized.  And after you get them notarized, you have to get them certified.  Kentucky has the pleasure of being one of the five (I think) states where your documents have to be certified at the county and state level.  So today I took a day off work (long story short it was supposed to be a flexible PD day but ended up being a snow make up day) and took a friend who has been through this part of the adoption process with me, and we headed out to the county and state governments!

First stop, the Jefferson County Clerk's main office downtown.  It took about 5 minutes to have 5 documents certified!  At this stop, they are certifying that the notary's seal and commission are true and valid.

Outside of the County Courthouse.  It was COLD.
Next, we headed to Frankfort.  One piece of the dossier, the State Police Check, had been notarized in Franklin County (where the capital is).  So we headed to the Franklin County Clerk and within minutes, that document was notarized too! (No pictures.)

Finally, we were off to the State Capitol.  So here is where things get sad, picture wise.  (Not really.)  I was going to take an awesome picture holding all the documents at the overlook for the Capitol or at least outside the building.  However, the GPS took us out of the area a different way and we bypassed the Capitol overlook.  So no picture.  Still.  Seven of nine documents are certified and ready!  At the state level they are certifying that the person who certified the notary is valid...you get the point.

Next, sometime later this week, I will send this first batch to a courier who will take them through the next steps in the sealing process.  After that, they'll be sent back to me and then on ahead to my agency.  (Out of my hands = hopefully better, I say.)  I am waiting for two more documents.  One is a document that I will be waiting on for probably 50 days now, which is an approval from the USCIS.  Once that comes back, those two documents will be expedited through the process, and then everything will be at the agency.  And then hopefully those three favorite letters in Chinese adoption...DTC!  I am still on track for the end of May, so that is exciting.

It was fun crossing off these steps!  There hasn't been much going on lately (other than finalizing my home study) so it's so nice to finally be in a phase where things are happening!  I'll update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment