Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Little Catch Up

Sorry for the delay in posting.  To say it has been a long, draining few days (I don't really know what day it is - the 17th?  So I guess 5 days) would be an understatement.  

We made it into Beijing for one night and left early the next morning (Sunday 9/14) for the airport.  Once we got through what could only be described as intense security in Beijing, we flew to Zhengzhou.  Sort of.  We tried to land in Zhengzhou amidst terrible, terrible rain, and the pilot did an abrupt re-ascent.  My dad is a pilot and I have flown many flights with him.  "Touch and gos" were my least favorite thing ever, but there is a reason they teach pilots to do them and that is why, I guess.  Anyway.  We ended up having to fly to Wuhan, Hubei province (the next closest major airport) to wait out the weather.  So what should have been a 90 minute flight ended up being us on a plane until 2:00.  We arrived at the hotel at 4:00 and had to rush to change enough money for the adoption fees as the bank closed at 5:00.  Finally Mom, Dad, and I found some dinner and went to bed.

I slept really well but woke up at 4:30 Monday morning (jet lag, I wish I could quit you).  I finally got up around 7:15, got ready, ate breakfast, and we had to be in the lobby at 9:30.

An aside.  We are one of the largest groups CCAI has had.  We are very thankful they crammed us all in before the National Day holiday October 1-7, but that means we have 16 families adopting 17 kids.  Plus all their travel companions.  It's so large they've divided us into two groups for logistical purposes.  

The time came to board buses.  Group 2131 boarded their bus.  Then those of us in Group 2132 were told that our bus was stuck in traffic, and that it might be 20 minutes, might be an hour.  (It has rained NON STOP since we arrived in Zhengzhou.  Apparently this causes more traffic issues because people who would normally walk or take a scooter drive or take a taxi.)  I don't know how long we waited.  I think it was an hour, but I was chatting with a friend about our adoption processes when they said, "Okay, it's time!"

The drive to the Civil Affairs office is supposedly 20 minutes.  On Monday it felt like five. Suddently we were there, and because we were so late, most of the babies were already there, Ella included.  


I will have to write a whole other post about the amazing people who cared for Ella before she came to me, but she was with two volunteers from the Baobei Foundation and someone from the Anyang SWI. She was very quiet and shy but she did let me take her and snuggled in.  It was BUSY in that room.  I cannot imagine how completely intimidating that was for her.  Thirty families (other agencies included) were getting their babies/kids.  Crazy.


The first thing I said to her was, "You're SO big!" I knew her weight, but she's just heavier than I thought.  She's got a little less muscle tone than I expected, so I think that is part of it too.  

Anyway.  I had to immediately sign some papers (I assume it was the guardianship agreement, although they didn't tell me that), and then we just sort of chilled until it was time to go back to the hotel.  


The afternoon/evening was full of paperwork, and Ella is used to an early bedtime, and jet lag was hitting me hard, so we went with it.  Bedtime for all.  It was great.  


Speaking of, she is napping now so I am going to rest.  She's a pretty happy, well adjusted, playful baby, as long as she gets her rest. And that rest had best be in a crib or she's not really thrilled.  

I'll try to update more soon and more frequently.  But we are well.  Send sunshine though.  Please and thanks. :)





2 comments: