Friday, September 19, 2014

The Rest of Zhengzhou

I would apologize for not updating but I have a good excuse. :) I don't know how other parents do it. Jet lag combined with instant toddler parenting plus me not feeling well have me barely keeping my eyes open by the time Ella goes to bed. But I'm going to try to update quickly. She's stirring so we'll see. 

Tuesday:

Tuesday was the official adoption day. We went back to the civil affairs office and waited for paperwork to be done. After 30-45 min, they came out, handed us our adoption certificates and "blue papers," and we were official!


Then we had to go to the notary office to get stuff...notarized. Do you watch Parks and Recreation? Imagine the fourth floor, but it's on the sixth floor and no stairs.  Ella weighs about 28 lbs. It was a workout. But we paid a fee, got something notarized, and back to the hotel we came. 

We had an hour to get ready to leave for Anyang, the city where Ella was born. It was a three hour drive in the rain for a 20 minute passport application visit. Because of the weather, we would have arrived home two hours later (and past Ella's bedtime) if we did the orphanage visit, so I elected not to go. I feel bad because I have friends whose babies I really wanted to check on. But someone needs her sleep. 

Wednesday:

Wednesday was a free day but it was rainy. We decided to play in the hotel. We had fun playing with friends, getting to know them, and being on a leisurely schedule. It is safe to say we are all getting tired of hotel food, but no agenda was nice. 



Thursday:


Thursday was another free day and it finally stopped raining so as a group we went to the aquarium. It was just okay as far as aquariums go. 


There was a cute sea lion show and a slightly disturbing mermaid show. But it was nice to get out. Ella had a very slight fever and wasn't feeling super awesome, and then fell asleep on the bus and missed her nap at the hotel. So the afternoon was full of trying to entertain a child who needed a longer nap. You all are probably laughing at me right now because you've been there. 


Friday:


Friday morning we made a Walmart run. It was interesting. We bought a stroller and we are all happier. I'm still feeling a little yucky so my parents took Ella for a couple of hours while I napped. This was helpful. 

Ella came with a suitcase full of toys. She thinks this IKEA veggie basket makes a much better hat:


We were going to go out to dinner but Ella wasn't having it. So we ate fried rice at the hotel restaurant and went to bed. 


This morning we are packing up and leaving for Guangzhou, which is in southern China (think Florida). We are excited for the change in scenery and the Mexican restaurant close to the hotel. We are also thankful to be one step closer to home! 

I've been caught awake. :) Gotta run!

1 comment: